A local couple have had a disasterous start to their Easter break with fire destroying their camp site, vehicles and equipment at Colignan on Friday afternoon.

It is believed a fire started in a gas fridge that spread to the rest of their caravan, two cars, camping trailer, cool room, generator and other equipment while the couple were on the river in their boat.

Locals were alerted to the fire and tried to put it out, with a number of firebrigades also attending as the fire burnt out the campsite and some of the bush land.

The couple lost all their camping gear and some belonging to friends as well as their clothes and cash. Friends have mounted aa appeal to help replace the lost items. Donations can be left at Bells Ink Studio in Mildura.

Photos from Facebook.